Photo of Jan 14 2019 Vancouver Working Peers Meeting at NAMI Southwest WA.
Vancouver Working Peers Lunch & Learn
We gathered our lunches along with the snacks in a wonderful meeting room to learn about NAMI. Peggy McCarthy, Executive Director welcomed us with open arms and chocolate roses, and just made everyone feel special. Heidi Bjurstrom, Program Director expertly guided us through understanding NAMIs groups, educational workshops and signature classes for both individuals and families. It is good to know that everyone is welcome to NAMI, and at no charge.
We learned about Peer Support programs such as Connection, Peer to Peer, Women's Support, STRivE. Expressive Arts, and Creative Writing for Wellness. John McDonald and Chiara Caballero shared how the groups they facilitate can help "hone" your mental health wellness skills and help everyone find hope. The NAMI calendar can be found here. And note about NAMI Walks & Talks: Amy Ford, Peer Support Specialist is working on getting her 10K steps in! She invited everyone who wanted to get some exercise and talk time to join her anytime!
And be sure to save the date February 15, 2019 for NAMI's 40th Anniversary Fundraising Luncheon at Warehouse 23. Registration is online at namiswwa.org
Next item of order was to ask if the rotation of locations was still welcome for the 2019 Vancouver Working Peer meetings. -- It was an unanimous YES. Reasons being heard around the table that it got us learning about places and the culture of the environment, not just through a speaker, flyer or list, but in a real experience. We accepted suggestions for upcoming meeting locations and here is a poll for us narrow down the options. https://doodle.com/poll/gg6zke2yxizf7ifr
Our next SWCHAPS Vancouver Working Peers Lunch & Learn will be
FEBRUARY 11, 2019 (Second Mondays!) at:
CVAB (Consumer Voices Are Born) REACH Center
1601 E 4th Plain Blvd, Vancouver, WA 98661, USA
As a SW CHAPS member, you are also invited to take part in the
WASHINGTON STATE COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKER ASSOCIATION
WSCHWA Full Membership zoom meeting
When Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30pm – 5:15pm (PST)
Agenda and work plan documents can be found here.
Other upcoming events to get on your calendar:
- Jan 24 Clark County Project Homeless Connect 9am to 2pm at St. Joesph & Point In Time Count St. Joseph Catholic Church at 400 S Andresen Rd. Shuttles will be available from Share House, WHO, Share Fromhold, Friends of the Carpenter in Vancouver. A Battle Ground and Washougal shuttle will also be available. Sign up to volunteer at goconnect.org/phc
- Jan 30 6p - 7p - Resident Action Project Statewide Conference Call
To join the call, dial: 866-792-9154 Passcode: 741-789-6549#
- Feb 4 - Community Conversation hosted by SW Washington Communities United for Change 6 PM – 7:30 PM Cascade Park Community Library
600 NE 136th Ave, Vancouver, Washington 98684
- Feb 12 - Recovery Advocacy Day 8 AM – 5 PM in Olympia.
Information can be found facebook.com/swwarc/
- Feb 26 5:30-7pm H.A.Homelessness Advocacy Day Training & Preparedness
- Feb 28 Housing and Homelessness Advocacy Day whenwe will FILL THE BUS with authentic community voice and head to Olympia! We will join more than 600 Housing and Homelessness advocates in Olympia for a powerful day of action. Follow #HHAD2019 on social media for updates
Thank you for being a part of the SW WA Community Health Advocates and Peer Support Network (SWCHAPS) and the Vancouver Working Peers group!